Friday, February 19, 2016

Going Through Changes

Boy am I going through changes!!! Turning the pages and flying through the chapters...

First of all, I haven't blogged about this yet, but I'd like to take a moment in remembrance of my Uncle Dennis who past away last Thursday, February 11th, 2016. Obituary here. After months of suffering from Esophageal Cancer and complications, I am glad to know he is in a much better place, but that doesn't make it much easier to comprehend or accept.

The news came on my last day of a 10-day vacation in California. There is never a good time to lose a family member, but especially not in the situation I found myself. I am not talking about being on vacation, I am talking about having to leave less than 48hrs after getting back from vacation to start my first day of my new job in Memphis, TN. My first day of work happened to fall on the day of my Uncle's funeral. What to do? Before you judge me and call me cold, you can't possibly understand unless you were in my shoes. I told myself if this happened, I wouldn't miss it for the world, and I missed it. With all these moving pieces, I am living my life hour-by-hour.

So, I get home from my California vacation, begin to face reality, mourn my Uncle, pack for 10 days in Memphis, catch up on 10 days away from e-mails, run errands, and etc. I trudged through the daze and hopped on a plane Valentine's Day to begin my new job. Sitting on a plane that was de-icing, in 20 degree weather, for an hour, on Valentine's Day, knowing I wasn't going to be with my family for the funeral was heart-breaking. I can't count the number of times I choked down tears in the airport having every emotion in the Berea handbook.

Finally arriving at my hotel, sleep was the only thing I wanted. When I opened the door of my room, I was greeted by a bouquet of flowers and a love letter from my boyfriend. Needless to say, it meant A LOT.

Monday was rough; putting on a face for my first day at work while torn inside thinking of my family. I manage to get through everything, so that's what I did.

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." Hebrews 12:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment