Friday, December 11, 2015

The Era

I am most certainly at a weird age!! I think from 25-30 is generally a weird time frame, age wise, at least from what I have seen across the board.

Our high school friends who had babies are sending those little ones off to kindergarten/1st/2nd grade, high school & college sweethearts are married and have bought their first house, we mostly all have some sort of job or clearer career path, our identities are somewhat making shape, wedding invitations are growing drastically, not to mention hanging out now means a baby shower or bachelorette party. For the rest of us, we begin to fear crossing 30 with no husband, no children, no house, no job. It is almost as though this weight is peer pressure disguised as a cultural norm.

I have always had older friends, at least since high school. I am thankful to be the baby in my group of friends. I get a heads up for all these life changes at least a couple years in advance, however, that makes me the best and worst person to help them deal with the struggles of growing up. I am telling myself now, NO ONE WANTS TO TURN 30. It is the first age that you really do not want to turn, and from what I hear, it never really changes after that.

No one wants to turn 30 because they don't have a husband/wife, they don't have a kid, they haven't bought a house, they don't have the job they want, they don't have a puppy, they don't have a new car, etc. The problem is that no matter what you have, you'll always want something else or something more. How does that change from 29 to 30?

I cannot count on one hand how many of my friends have had the 30 year old life crisis. I am going to say every friend I have who has turned 30.

As a 25 year old, I would like to give my input, what you do with it is up to you, I suppose.

Over and over and over and over again, I remind myself that my mom was THIRTY-EIGHT (38) when she had me. As far as I know, I have no disabilities, after all, I am an engineer! Even when she had my brother, she was 34, and he turned out better than anyone I know. Okay, so maybe by 40 I will be worried about not having kids, but that is a distant thought right now. Besides, there is always adoption.

Okay, so let's talk about being married. Marriage is not on some check list to get done by 30. If anything, it is a life-goal. A couple of my other life goals include becoming a CEO and getting my pilots license, but I can tell you I have put a fraction of my time into those as compared to finding a husband. My point is, that you should not get married just to be married. It is about much more than that. Maybe you spent your 20's in the military or climbing Mount Everest or building your career that you missed the opportunity to be where your future partner was. Would you take that back? I wouldn't. God put you where he did, when he did for a reason. I am going to guess there are FAR more 80 year olds that have been UN-happily married than 80 years olds that are un-happily never married. Think about that.

Okay, the house thing. At my naive stage, I don't know enough about house buying nor do I have money saved for a down payment that buying a house isn't even on my radar yet and I'm fine with that. I am just not ready, so I guess I don't have that fear.......yet.

I guess you just need to be happy for what you have or at least don't make yourself sick if you don't have what you want. It is not completely in your hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment