Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Positivity

It is amazing how you can change or influence a situation by your tone or tweek in a few simple words. I've always claimed to be "realistic" in my pessimistic under-tone, but I've realized this year it is actually quite draining for myself and those around me. I think I've always migrated towards a negative tone in an effort to prepare myself and others for the worst case scenario so that I can be happily surprised with the much-less-depressing outcome. That, however, is a big flaw. I don't think it is good to be so negative most of the time, and I hadn't even realized I was doing it.

I can't think of a good example at the moment, but I noticed a big difference when my boyfriend started saying "POSITIVITY!" to anyone who had a negative connotation in a conversation. I realized I was doing it more often then not. Since then, I've noticed other people who do the same thing and it is quite depressing. I have kind of hopped the train by pointing out "I like the positivity" in conversations where it is warranted, in hopes of the other party thinking "you're right". I have noticed it sets a better tone and mood in general.

This "positivity" rant comes on behalf of my participation in the #30daysofthanks hashtag on Instagram. I don't usually participate in those kinds of events, but I made an exception throughout November to show my thanks. I set a reminder every day to post a picture with a few words why I was thankful for that item, which is kind of sad when you think about it (not being able to remember to give thanks). Some days I would be excited to put up my daily thanks and some days, my alarm would come and go without a minute to show my thanks. (I think that only happened twice & I started on Nov. 2nd.) It was very refreshing to take that timeout each day, pick something I was thankful for, and explain to my viewers why. Sometimes, I would interrupt whatever I was doing to take the time for my #30daysofthanks and it would put me in a completely different mindset when I was done. It was very hard to limit myself to 30 things. About half way through the month I had to sit down and write what my plan was for the rest of the month because I had some key things I didn't want to leave out. I do feel guilty now for everything I didn't get to, but understand, I only had 30 days.

Long story short, it's healthy to give thanks every day.

"Give thanks unto the Lord, for he is good, and his mercy endures forever." Psalm 136

No comments:

Post a Comment