Monday, May 18, 2015

A-Squad

This post is dedicated to my very handsome, single, male friend, Francisco, aka Cisco. He is an eligible bachelor who recently ended his time in the marines, sniper platoon, after about 6 years. Although currently living in Milwaukee, he has seen the world and can't wait to share his experiences with a lovely lady. Cisco-thank you for your service and best wishes to finding a woman that can compare to you. I also want to say thank you to my boyfriend, James, who will be helping to upgrade my blog in the near future and provide professional web designers from his company to do so. Thirdly, my brother, Isaiah, I would not be writing the following post if it was not for you. You are my biggest motivator and inspiration.

I wanted to talk about running today...I am an amateur and frankly beginner runner, but after 4 successful, dedicated weeks running, I have some insightful reflections that you won't get from avid/professional runners.

1- I don't find running the hardest part. Meaning; my legs aren't killing and I have not gotten shin splints yet, which has always been an early running deterrent for me. I find breathing the hardest part. I also find it very easy to tell myself it is so hard that I should just walk and then when I have done my run and recover within 15 minutes, I realize I probably did not have to stop.

2- Allergies. Sometimes after I run (which I've only been running outside) I die of sneezing and watery eyes and then it stops within an hour. It is not every time and it is similar to other allergies I have, but I found that interesting. Especially because it does not start until after I am done running and back inside.

3- Whenever I see another runner, I want to cheer and say; "Keep going! You're doing great!". Especially people struggling more than me. Good for them. HOWEVER, I get some interesting reactions from people. Some men stop and stare then turn to watch me run away (which I don't appreciate). I have gotten a few high fives, which is awesome. I don't like running where there are lots of people, but it has its benefits at times also. Running at the lake is great for people watching and I must say, it keeps me from thinking about stopping.

4- Along with tracking my runs on Runkeeper, I've been keeping a "running journal". Most importantly to track what I eat/drink prior to the days run, how I feel during that run, and what the weather is like. I am interested in correlations, to find out what works for me and what doesn't with actual data and not assuming.

5- That feeling you get when you bend over to do something and the stretch you feel in your legs feels so good you stay there for a while. Also when walking/running up stairs and you feel like some 10lb weights you've had for the past 20 years have been removed because it is so much easier.

It is exciting to see my progression. From barely being able to finish a mile a month ago to shaving 6 minutes off of my 4 mile run. I am far from good, but each run helps in some way. I am about a month out from my 5K and I can't wait!

Congrats to everyone who ran the Green Bay Half & Marathon this weekend! You rock!


1 comment:

  1. The main problem that leads to stubborn shin splints that won't go away is people using pain relief techniques instead of focusing on identifying what's actually CAUSING their shin splints. There's a few different causes but the most common ones are weak or inflexible calves, flat feet or overpronation, worn out or inappropriate running shoes as well as plain and simple overload as the article mentioned. The most important thing is to identify EXACTLY what's causing your shin splints and then along with pain relief techniques like rest and icing begin to do specific stretches and exercises to correct the underlying problems. There's a really good guide on this which you can check out here: never-never-never-give-up.com

    ReplyDelete