Monday, April 27, 2015

Earthquake in Nepal

Just wow.

I don't know what it is with mountains, climbing, Berea, and emotions, but there is a correlation. Maybe it is just Berea and emotions, period.

The information I have at this point is far from what the outcome will be, but to give a background...

A large earthquake hit Nepal 2 days ago. From preliminary reports, it was about 7.8 in magnitude, the largest to hit Nepal in 80 years. The death toll is in the thousands and climbing (no pun intended) by the hour. Mt. Everest was also affected by the earthquake which resulted in multiple avalanches and already a high death toll. Since the major earthquake, there have been multiple aftershocks which have been nearly as bad as the first and certainly not helping with rescue efforts. I am no official news source, so that's about all I can speculate for certain.

My family is no stranger to natural disasters. Well before Hurricane Katrina in 2005, I would be glued to the television after any worldwide disaster. I remember begging my parents, even in middle school, to go help with the disaster relief.

I think it started sometime around 1st or 2nd grade when a tornado ripped through my town of 1,200 people and destroyed a family friends' farm. My family (along with half the town) assembled to help clean-up what we could on the farm. I really only remember grabbing debris and throwing it away, but I remember emotions were high....
Fast forward to 2001, my crazy family visits the World Trade Centers within 2 months before they were attacked. I begged and pleaded to go help, but for one reason or another, it wasn't feasible.
Four years later, Hurricane Katrina made landfall. For weeks, I told my parents, "I want to be there, I want to help". My dad happened to mention it to the right people and Christmas break of 2005, I was on a bus to New Orleans to help with the clean-up. It was a life-changing experience.

One year ago, my brother was on Mt. Everest during the worst avalanche in history, up to that point. We had the "death" talk before he left and it was the elephant in the room that "would never happen to him" kind of thing. Waking up in the middle of the night to a text asking if my brother was alright was a "throat in stomach" moment. I was able to quickly learn via Twitter that he was alright, which was all I wanted to hear. They stayed on the mountain only a few days, long enough to decide climbing was pretty much canceled for the rest of the season and he began his nearly week long trek of the mountain, back to Kathmandu.

I can't imagine backpacking off of a disaster on Everest, only to another disaster in Kathmandu.

#1- I've thanked God many times in the past 2 days for keeping my brother here safe this month. #2- I've thanked God many times in the past 2 days for being able to sleep knowing my brother is safe. #3- I've prayed many times in the past 2 days for the families and friends of those in Nepal this week. A disaster like this is just so far from the imagination of most people who have never experienced a disaster. Thousands dead, houses destroyed, friends and families injured, no source of food, no source of medical help, no shelter. That just begins to describe my attraction for helping with disaster relief.

When the avalanche came down Everest last year, it was the most deadly event on Everest until this year. Two years in a row, a major disaster like this...!!! I mean, come on....

My prayers are with you Nepal.

No comments:

Post a Comment