Monday, April 13, 2015

A Note: Part 1 (Brother)

As a preface, for those of you unfamiliar to what I am talking about in this string of posts, I attended the 24 Hour World Championship of Ultrarunning in Torino, Italy. Reason being; my older brother qualified for it as the #2 spot on the USA men's team. I will spare the details, because each part is dedicated to a specific person/group who knows the circumstantial details of what I will be addressing.

Here are the links to the other parts:
A Note: Part 2 (Fellow Crew)
A Note: Part 3 (Medical & Team Staff)
A Note: Part 4 (Lessons Learned)

This part is to my big brother-

I'm sorry. Foremost for not coming to more of your races when I really could have. Secondly, for not knowing how to "crew".

I'm proud. To see you with your team and how much you bonded. See you representing Iowa, Kansas, Massachusetts, and Wisconsin (to name a few). That you can do so much more than me (& most others). To see you run for TWENTY-FOUR hours through the pain and still be so positive. That you have a more caring heart than I do and that you finished the race.

I'm thankful. For all the lessons you teach me and realizations you make me face. For being a great role model and simply that YOU are my brother.

Please don't be disappointed or upset with the race results. You fractured your leg mearly 6 weeks ago and had no where near the training you would have had under normal circumstances. For basically zero training............how did you even get to 80 miles? You did more than many healthy people WITH training! I guess I'm just saying, like I always do, don't be so harsh on yourself.

I hope to share more experiences like this with you and learn each time so I can be the best support possible. I also learned a lot this week and hopefully you can see it through these notes. I'm actually pretty excited to crew for you again so I can do a better job.

Love,
Berea

"Let us run with endurance the race that is set before us." Hebrews 12:1

No comments:

Post a Comment