Friday, December 12, 2014

Champagne Problems

Without further adieu, I believe it is appropriately time to publicly announce that I have accepted a new job. Beginning officially January 1st (first working day being January 5th), I become a Manufacturing Engineer for the Discrete Automation and Motion division of ABB working with Drives and Inverters!!

Wow has this past month been a learning experience.

For the sake of this being a public blog and my professional discretion being of utmost importance to me, I will not be able to disclose all the events that have led me to this point since October 21st, however, I am very eager to dish the "millions of emotions" I have, once again, had the pleasure? to experience through this journey.

I first want to say that the position I will be leaving is my first professional job post-college. I started as an intern, came back as a contractor, and was hired on a mere 2 months before getting my bachelors diploma. I have held the same title/position since September 2012. You might laugh as I have numerous times over the past couple weeks. "Berea, you're kidding right? Making it sound like 2 years is a lifetime of work? Wake up, you have at least 40 more to go." Well, you're right, and I may be quite naive, selfish, and undeserving, but I've never let those things stop me, so why now?

I want to make it publicly known that I love my job. I've learned many things over the past 2-3 years, and one is that I am part of a minority of people who are generally more happy, than not, with my job. I have had a great support system of co-workers and managers who have helped me grow and learn and I couldn't be more thankful. This job has been a perfect mix of pushing my comfort zone, giving me freedom to learn from my mistakes, and recognition for my accomplishments. It has certainly set high standards for the rest of my career.

That being said, I wasn't particularly looking for another job, but I was willing to entertain the idea of a different opportunity. Here is where I need to skip some details, however within a weeks time I was offered 3 different/new job positions. Champagne problems, first world problems, whatever you call it, I'm blessed. God answers prayers in his own way at his own time. When he closes one door, he opens another.

If I have one piece of advice, it would be to go into Industrial Engineering. If I had another piece of advice, it would be to choose a career based on the job description, not the job title.

Regardless, I am beyond excited to start this new "chapter". One step closer to my dream job, that I may disclose to you some day. Thanks for the prayers in helping to guide me to a decision. As always, I look forward to what the future holds for me and can only try and hang on to the crazy ride we call life.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment