Friday, April 18, 2014

My Boring Life

It's all relative. Like arguing with someone whether a certain shirt is blue or purple.

Me saying my life is boring is relative.

When I tell people I have a brother, the conversation often leads to them asking more about him. I say; "He's an Aerospace Engineer with his masters' in Material Science, working for John Deere. He is also a marathoner and mountaineer." That's like the ultimate elevator speech. If you don't have questions after those statements, you're probably just in shock. Whatever the case, it makes my background seem so dull and boring.

On the other hand, I know many people who were born and raised in the same house, still live with their parents in that house, and have never left their home state. Maybe I'm more exciting than that.

I woke up a little past 2am this morning to news that woke me up very quickly. I received a text from a friend I don't hear from often saying she saw the news about an avalanche on Everest and asking if I had heard from my brother........my heart went straight to my stomach.

I frantically starting searching for more information on every outlet available. I had about 5 notifications from Isaiah's Twitter with live updates. "Accident...Bad day...This is really really bad...The bodies..." he tweeted. The avalanche happened about 3 hours prior to me waking up, so his continued tweets confirmed he was okay. I also had an un-read email from Isaiah with details too personal to share online. Long story short, he is safe and that was enough to get my heart beating again. It's still not calming knowing this is the worst accident to ever happen on Everest in terms of number of lives lost and knowing my brother is there.
An event such as an avalanche is uncontrollable by humans and therefore, is in Gods hands. Please keep Isaiah and the remaining climbers in your thoughts and prayers that they return home safe.

How's that for boring?

On a separate note, I hope you are all having a Good Friday and have a Happy Easter.

"Thou shall have no other gods before me." Exodus 20:3

No comments:

Post a Comment