Wednesday, April 23, 2014

A Constant Reminder

It is only my petty little problem that I am going to take a moment to complain about not sleeping well with my brother on Everest.

It seems a regular occurrence this past week being woken up in the middle of the night to updated news from my brother about what's going on on Mt. Everest. Obviously since the situation is directly effecting him and consequently effecting me/my family, I have a bias opinion on the importance of what's happening in Nepal.

I suppose I'm still shocked by all that's going on that I haven't really processed it. It's a weird interim right now between mourning, summit excitement, climbing continuation, labor wages, and political confusion. There's a lot going on right now and Isaiah seems to be smack dab in the center of it.

I've been thinking and talking about the situation a lot so I feel almost redundant having to explain it again here, but in case you aren't aware, here is my brief summary....

My brother is ON Mt. Everest. (Base camp the day of the avalanche.)
16 High altitude mountain guides died, more still missing in avalanche.
Many guides/teams/companies left the mountain concluding their expeditions to summit Everest 2014.
Eco Everest (company my brother is with) is staying indefinitely.
Mountain guides and families protesting labor wages. 13 demands submitted.
Nepal government supplying little to no answer on situation
Current future of this seasons climbing continuation still unknown.

The best I can suggest is that you follow @isaiahjanzen on twitter for live updates and join the crowd unable to sleep. You could also donate to The Juniper Fund, which is an organization created by some of Isaiah's team members to help and support the guide community in Nepal.

Until further notice, prayers always welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment