Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Neither Here Nor There

Wisconsin, Mississippi, Tennessee, Dominican, Chicago, Louisiana........

You can call me a traveling woman! I think I've slept in more states in the month of January than all of last year! WOO! My dad texted me today asking literally where in the world was I? The answer currently: Memphis.

I enjoy traveling. It is so eye-opening to indulge in the local culture, eat new things, not understand local accents, and learn what the local grocery store chain is. I remember traveling as a child and just assuming everyone knew I was an out-of-towner, but as I grow up, I realize that until you don't understand what a "well" drink is, are shocked people still smoke in restaurants, and have bad driving habits, no one knows you're not local as well.

So, a huge part of traveling is exploring local culture, particularly food. Which is my topic of discussion today. I hope to share with you what I've learned that will help you vacation without it ending up like a Thanksgiving feast.

It's fun to get to the airport at 6 in the morning on the day of a trip and want to hit up the airport Collectivo and get that delicious potato burrito, but just don't. I don't eat breakfast because the only things that look good to me are overly fatty, greasy, sugary items. I'm not a health nut when it comes to breakfast, so to curb that craving I start my day with a low-calorie drink. 12-16oz. non-fat, sugar-free vanilla latte or 12-16oz. iced, non-fat, two shot, chai latte. Both have under 200 calories and give me my espresso boost for the day while giving me enough fill to avoid a cheese danish or McGriddle. The airplane usually provides a snack (except American Airlines and United-both of which I hate flying) but a small snack I think is fine as long as you don't eat 10 bags of those peanuts.

I also want to mention airports are eating traps. No matter what time of the day, if you are traveling and stop at an airport, in order to waste time, grab a glass of beer or an appetizer, but that's just stupid. If it isn't during normal eating times (lunch/dinner), don't do it.

When you reach your destination, your first instinct is to visit a local restaurant and try the "local" food. I've made the mistake plenty times wanting all the fresh seafood socially acceptable to order or Jambalaya, craw fish, and gumbo all in one sitting, but trust me, it is just not worth it. If possible, get the people you are with to all order different entrees and share or order small portions like appetizers. Otherwise, before you visit, figure out one or two local things you want to try and save the others for your next visit.

I've also made the mistake of ordering room service. It's easy and comfortable to order breakfast, lunch, and dinner from your hotel, but that is the worst. A whole tray of food in front of you. Since you aren't at a table or somewhere public, you can munch on all the food until it's gone instead of just eating until you're full. And if you're like me, you'll order something substantial enough to make the trip worth while for the wait staff.

Lastly, since you're just visiting, chances are you are at a hotel that has a workout facility. If at all possible, pack some tennis shoes, a pair of shorts, and an old T. Most likely, you'll have a few spare minutes to hit the gym. If not, good for you for getting out and making every minute count.

I set rules for myself that I don't break regardless of where I am. No soda. No eating after 8pm. No more than 2 alcoholic beverages on a work night. I have more, but you have to create ones that fit your needs.

Enjoy <3 p="">

No comments:

Post a Comment