Monday, September 9, 2013

Therapy

I just learned this morning that another one of Van Goghs paintings was discovered recently. All these years it had been tucked away in an attic on accounts of owner thinking it was a fake. The article I read put it perfectly saying that we think we know everything, then something like this happens and changes our perception. It is a great reality check that no one is perfect and also very exciting to find puzzle pieces you never knew were missing.

This news is exciting to me because ever since I started learning about art, Van Gogh has been my inspiration and favorite artist. Regardless of his potentially psychotic reputation, he was a phenomenal artist. I personally think he was a good artist BECAUSE he was crazy, I think he would have agreed with me too.
So this painting they found, "Sunset at Montmajour", is estimated to be worth over $40 million. Do you think Van Gogh would be proud his work is THAT great or angry he never saw the money?

I think that art is so amazing. I understand it because every picture tells a story. Almost like a secret, that only one person really knows. For me, painting is therapeutic. I don't have a long attention span for things I don't enjoy doing, yet I could sit down and paint forever. It's amazing how without saying a word you can let out so many emotions. It is an accomplishment too. Like winning a medal or trophy. Unlike sports though, artists have the ability to control their paintings. Hence why so many paintings have layers upon layers of paint. If you don't like it, just keeping going until you do. Maybe control has something to do with it also.

Anyways, I think Van Gogh had great art and he certainly had deep issues that drove his liquid emotions. I also think it is great they are finding more of his work. I am sure there is much more to be discovered.

No comments:

Post a Comment