Friday, August 2, 2013

External Happiness

I was recently reading an article titled "The Top 10 things Happy People Don't Do."  I'd link it, but I don't remember where I found it. Anyways, I'd like to think of myself as happy but wanted to read the list to see what I'm missing. It's not a surprise that on the list, happy people don't look for happiness externally.

My weakness: relying on others to make me happy.
My strength: empathizing with the feelings of those around me.

It's another work in process. I'm a big girl. I can make my own decisions. I can do what would make ME happy, but I think it's a greater happiness finding people who share the same ideas about happiness. I can go get lobster and steak when I want, but when my boyfriend asks to take me, that's way more special, exciting, and happy. I can clean the house myself to be stress-free and happy, or my roommate can clean up after herself and I'll be happy from the start. I think my problem is having expectations of others making me happy. I've learned that those people that frustrate me won't be in my close friend circle but I need to realize I shouldn't let those frustrations guide my happiness.

Problem is I care. It's how I was raised and I don't want to change that. However, caring people can be happy so clearly I have a disconnect....

Does it matter as long as you are making God happy?

I know that there is nothing better for people than to be happy and to do good while they live. That each of them may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all their toil—this is the gift of God. 

Ecclesiastes 3:12-13

No comments:

Post a Comment