Thursday, November 22, 2012

Gracias!

Thanksgiving. I could write a long note of cliche memories and expectations of this day, but I'm not going to this year. I'm thankful every day.

This year, this time, I was planning on being on the east coast. Today in fact. I spent countless hours researching relief groups, talking to contacts, and ready to lay down money for a flight. I asked two things in return; a ride to/from the airport and a 2' x 6' area to sleep for 4 days. I like helping. I helped after Katrina and it was life changing. It was such an eye opener and it felt reallly good. So in wake of hurricane Sandy I was ready to go help. With the horror stories still circulating about the event and the work that needs to be done, I wanted my help to count.

I'm sitting in Sheboygan Falls with my family today. I couldn't be more thankful to what I have come home to, but I still wish I could have had the opportunity to help out East. I talked to about 6 different people/organizations personally about me coming to help and I got 6 answers. We can't help you or you can't help us, we don't need you, or we already have enough help. After 6 tries I gave up.

I continued to watch the news and segments about the disaster relief. I laughed at the TV when they asked for help. No one wanted my help. A mid-westerner willing to give up my Thanksgiving celebrations and money to help those in need was denied on every attempt. My pity is gone. It is sad that I now think of all of New York as selfish, stubborn people. I can only help to think if I was in need, they'd book the next trip to Europe.

I have mixed feelings today. I have the best family a girl could ask for and I'm going to indulge in more food today than I should consume all week, yet my help was denied. It hurts.

Sometimes, you should accept help.

My professor told me on the day of my graduation; "Promise me one thing Berea. You won't be afraid to ask for help. Promise?"

I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:11-13

No comments:

Post a Comment