Monday, September 10, 2012

56-67-22

56 PEOPLE OPENED UP MY BLOG YESTERDAY! That's a high at least within MONTHS for a single day. Thanks for being interested in me, or at least bored enough to click over here.

67 days to graduation.

I'm 22 years old.

I keep playing over and over in my head all the things I have, all the opportunities I've had, and all the things I've learned.

I fear what may become of me. The point I am at could be the beginning of great change in my life. I can't stop thinking about my career. I've worked to be where I am. It didn't come easy. Now that I'm here I want more. You get educated to make money and be happy. Money doesn't create happiness and I'm on the deep end of persuading myself to stick to those principles. I'm being completely vague right now. I'm trying to say it's becoming way too easy to be sucked into having money be a motivator. I have been a poor college student with no money, a negative bank account, no savings, and bills to pay. Being in that situation, you look to the things you need and what makes you happy more than the fluffy stuff. Granted every second is spent worrying about how you'll pay everything off before money digs a deeper hole. I finally realize why my brother still drives a 200k+ mile 1990's Toyota Previa that, to me, seems like it's falling apart in every way possible. Why he lives in a duplex  on an air mattress (up until recently), doesn't have a dishwasher, cable, or a flat screen TV. Did I mention he is an aerospace engineer, with a Spanish concentration, masters in material science, and some other credentials I don't even know. It makes sense, even though I hardly see myself following in those footsteps.

I guess I'm glad to have people in my life that remind me of what's important when society suggests differently.

Luke 16:13 "No servant can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money."

2 comments:

  1. Why would you describe yourself as ostentatious? It's not exactly something to be proud of ... See definitions below:

    os·ten·ta·tious

    adjective
    1.
    characterized by or given to pretentious or conspicuous show in an attempt to impress others: an ostentatious dresser.

    2.
    (of actions, manner, qualities exhibited, etc.) intended to attract notice: Lady Bountiful's ostentatious charity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you really 22? I thought you were 23..

    ReplyDelete