Saturday, July 14, 2012

GREEN

Apple's Drama

If you haven't heard about the most recent Apple controversy, I highly recommend reading the article posted above. Let's discuss.

So, I'll highlight the article for those of you who did not read it. Apple resigned from the current certification they have with EPEAT due to new product designs. As the article explains, the new design that contrasts with EPEAT's standards is the retina display that requires batteries to be glued to aluminum. Honestly, we should have all see this coming with the uprising of higher pixel density for electronics.

Reduce, reuse, recycle. Who hasn't heard that before? Well, with the 'green' craze that swept our nation in the past decade, we went hard fast. We wasted no time eliminating what we believed to be harmful to the environment.

I digressed slightly, but back to Apple. In comparison to other electronic companies, they don't rank the best in sustainability. Is this the cost of having such advanced technology? This might be the first time I have seen a problem with one of my favorite companies. As an Industrial Engineer, I look at systems daily. My brain has been wired from childhood to find errors in systems and fix them. With this being said, I find it very hard to believe the work being done by Apple is the only way to do it and that no other way exists. You could ask a million why questions, but I'm assuming people from Apple have looked into those options.

What does this mean for Apple? With their desktop and laptop products no longer having this certification, will they lose sales because U.S. law regulates how many purchases can be made that aren't EPEAT certified? Or will they make up those sales with iPhone 5 sales? :-D ;) ;)

I think with a little continuous improvement, Apple will have this slip-up fixed in no time.

I still love you Apple.

No comments:

Post a Comment