Monday, August 1, 2011

AUGUST!!!

Eighth month of the year. A 2008 movie. National back to school month. National goat cheese month. My Birthday month.

Known for the ugly limeish green peridot “birth” stone. Signals the last month and end of summer. Brings hot weather in the northern hemisphere. Hawaii became in the 50th state in August of 1959. Switzerland’s day of independence is August 1st.

August is the one month I spend 11 other months waiting for. Will that change after this year? For years I’ve tried acting older than my age, ask my parents. I couldn’t wait to turn 16 and be completely free to drive alone. Then turning 18 was even more awaited because I could vote in 2008. So many things require you to be 18 to sign your life away, be called an “adult”, sign up for contests on your own, test drive new cars, buy stuff online. After being 18, it still wasn’t good enough, I wanted to be 21. Well, here I am three days to my 21st birthday and inside I’m screaming like a little kid being dragged to the dentist. I am literally the last of my core friends to be of legal drinking age. Hearing each one of them turn 21 and 22 and 23 and so on saying they wish they were my age again. Yeah right I thought….Everyone says there are no special birthdays to really look forward to after this one. Wednesday, August third will NOT last long enough.

August 3rd:

The 215th day of the year. Calvin Coolidge became the 30th president after Harding died on the 2nd. Adolf Hitler became supreme leader of Germany on August 3rd 1934. August 3, 2004 was the first time the statue of liberty opened since the 9-11 world trade center attacks. Simply 24 hours out of 8,760 a year is mine.

I’ve already gotten 2 birthday presents. My parents bought me my first new bed since the one I had was since I was out of the crib. The other present is; I’m going to Ohio for work next week, which I call my birthday present from ABB, even though that’s not the real reason.

I took off work Wednesday. It’s the first and only day I’ve asked off from work this whole summer. I think my 21st birthday is an excused absence. I hope to go to the zoo with my boyfriend. And maybe order a bloody mary for lunch? I’m spending the weekend with friends, friends I haven’t given any attention to this summer.

August signals the last few weeks I will be interning this summer. :’( Endings are hard. Especially since I’m just going back to school, not like I’m getting some great opportunity elsewhere. I’m rushing to finish my projects so I can feel accomplished and prove I helped the company this summer. Otherwise, I am organizing my work so that it can be easily passed on. I have sooooo much to say about my experience which will be in a different post when I absolutely have to be thinking about “the end”.

SO. The point of this was to grasp the concept of another year. A date I’ve looked forward to since high school. Wednesday, August 3, 2011. I thought would never come and here it is. Way to take things for granted Berea, you got what you wanted.

Eph 5:16 Make good use of every opportunity you have, because these are evil days.

No comments:

Post a Comment