Wednesday, May 18, 2011

bl00d

Its purple, its blue, you see it as red. It makes some people sick, some people love it. I donate it.
Correction; I try to donate it. I've been attempting since I was 17 and able to. I got denied numerous times (like 8 or 9) because of my lack of iron, but I now take iron tablets and have figured out how to get my iron high enough on the day I donate. I still get denied sometimes. Anyways, this past week, the blood center was on campus so I decided to try donating. I was pleased after passing the iron test and getting my vitals checked. I laid on those uncomfortable stretcher things, with a skirt on, waiting for my nurse. She could tell I was nervous when she got the needle out and told me I should probably look away. I said; "I can take the pain, I just don't like needles." Anyways, it was in and the process began. I was told to uncross my legs to promote blood flow which was not cool 'cause I was wearing a skirt. A few moments in, she said my blood wasn't really flowing. She's sitting there twisting the needle, pushing and pulling. I'm clamping my jaw and squeezing that dumb stress ball every 5 seconds as instructed.
I am staring into space trying not to think about the needle in my arm that is being shoved around in my arm as I become way to comfortable on the stretcher thing. I think to myself how nice a nap would be because I'm so tired. BEREA! I think to myself, am I passing out? My eyes are open and the room begins to fade. My head does a bobble and the nurse asks if I'm okay. I say, "uhm I don't think so". She calls over another nurse and they lay me completely down and ask how I'm feeling. I said, warm so they put a wet towel on my head. The nurse takes out the needle and explains I had a blood clot.
After all that and my blood will likely be thrown away. Sweet.
I didn't save a life. I just felt sickly all day.

My brother made a good point though. I've been denied more times than I've actually given (twice I think?) yet I still try. Why not? I know my blood's good, I know people need it. Reason enough.

For the life of a creature is in the blood, and I have given it to you to make atonement for yourselves on the altar; it is the blood that makes atonement for one’s life. Leviticus 17:11

1 comment:

  1. Kudos, Berea! I can't donate for a few more months because of my tattoo, but I intend to continue my alyx (double red) blood donations when I am able to.

    ReplyDelete