Thursday, June 4, 2009

Meet Berea

Just to answer those basic questions people often ask of new acquaintances, I thought I would give you a little background of me, Berea Janzen.

I just finished my freshman year at Milwaukee School of Engineering (AKA: MSOE) and am enrolled in the Industrial Engineering department. I'm one of the very few people that think I know what I want to be at this early stage of my career, and so far, there's nothing else I would have rather choosen.

Although I did most of my maturing here in Wisconsin, I did most of my growing up in a much warmer climate, Kansas. And to back-track some more, I was born in Ohio and then lived in Missouri and Oklahoma. Throughout all of these places, I've been able to experience small hick towns, big cities, towns that see snow for about a month, and now experience winter 10 months of the year. So, what do I prefer? Or where has been my favorite place to live? Well, this question isn't as easy as most people think because for me, I find the best in everything. In Kansas, I loved knowing everyone and being able to walk around town at midnight and not have a single worry and of course, I loved the weather. But here in Wisconsin I love how laid back everything seems to be and I also like knowing so many people and the relative closeness of everything and playing in the snow for a few months. Both of these places I grew up in had downfalls as well. In Kansas, the closest Walmart or McDonalds was at least 20 miles away and in Wisconsin it is now June and we have yet to see 70 degree days for more than 2 days in a row.

Moving on, I also said I travel a lot, and for the average person, I still believe I do. I have eaten lobster in Maine, been to the crown of the Statue of Liberty, been on the top floor of the World Trade Center, visited Gettysburg, experienced the humidity of Florida, milked a cow in Oklahoma, built a church in Mexico, seen the Grand Canyon, walked the Las Vegas strip, swam in the ocean at Laguna Beach, seen Mt. Rushmore, driven through the flats of Kansas, and been on the highest point in the US, Mt. Elbert. I've been to the White House and Niagara Falls, camped in Canada...etc. Haha. Does that tell you enough of where I've been and what I've done? If you want to know how rocky mountain oysters taste or what kind of emotions you get when you're on the tallest mountain in America, I could tell you that too. Or how I really feel about "summer hoodies".

Well, I think that gives you enough to think about until next time.

Carpe Diem!

No comments:

Post a Comment